I took this week off work as I traditionally do, and Courtney and I turned it into a home-repair marathon. We got back from visiting our friends in Idaho on Tuesday, and since then, we’ve done nothing but clean, repair, and organize. So far, here’s the short list of what we’ve done:
- Stripped, primed, and repainted the exterior of our mudroom. We hired a neighbor to paint it years ago, and he did a terrible job. It’s been needing repainting since, and I finally worked up the courage to do it.
- Finished the interior of the mudroom. We started this project about two years ago, got to a comfortable spot, and just stopped. Time to finish!
- Repainted all the chipped, old paint around the house. Don’t get me started on what we’ve done here…. It’s a list a mile long.
- Painted our front porch. It was once painted years and years ago. We repainted it a lovely copper clay color.
- Edged the lawn. It has never been edged…. We’ve been here over eight years…. cough, cough….
- Packed up a dozen large boxes of old clothes, books, movies, toys, housing goods, and other things that we just don’t use and moved them into storage. The house feels a few tons lighter!
- Reorganized our kitchen to maximize the space.
- Stripped, primed, and painted our paint-peeled bathroom. It’s needed a good repainting for about five years now.
- Trimmed up the lawn, backyard, and weeds outside.
- Cleaned all the windows.
- Organized our storage room downstairs.
- Organized and cleaned out all of our closets.
We’re almost done. Hopefully tomorrow. It’ll be nice to have the house fresh, clean, and open again. If we find the time, I’d really like to take a solid stab at cleaning the carpets.
On the braces front, I got a braces-off date!!! I have a checkup in four weeks to see what things are looking like and to make any last second corrections, but assuming all goes well, the braces come off early September. There’s even a chance it might be August! I can’t tell you how excited I am to hear that! It’s been 18 months. It’ll be nice to have my mouth back.