Last weekend was our Fathers and Sons campout. Normally, I would join my ward or stake, but this year we decided to make it a true fathers and sons by inviting my dad and brothers to go off on our own. We went to Maple Grove campground, which, if you’ve never been there, is one of the best campsites in Utah in my opinion. It’s incredibly beautiful and quiet, located right up against these massive cliff faces. Love it.
Because Courtney’s been stressed lately, I decided to take Katherine with me. Yes, that makes it not really fathers and sons anymore, but…. She was adorable and, in many ways, made the experience fun for everyone. Some of my favorite moments:
- Uncle Steve took her fishing, and she caught her first fish. I might add that I have never caught a fish (not for lack of trying).
- Uncle Steve gutting a fish and Katherine catching him by surprise with blood and guts running down his hands. I don’t think she’ll ever be the same.
- When we were sleeping, I’d check on her frequently to make sure she was still warm. Each time, she’d wake up just enough to say, “Thank you, daddy.” It’d make my heart melt, so I’d reply, “I love you, Katherine.” To which she’d reply, “I love grandpa,” and then roll over and go back to sleep. What a kid.
- Taking her to the bathroom (one of those truly marvelous out houses), me gagging at the smell, and having her announce that “this one doesn’t stink.” I’m not sure what she was comparing it to….
- Having her be the navigator on the ride down and asking if every car we passed was grandpa’s car despite the fact that I had already told her that grandpa was already at the camp ground.
- Snuggling in front of the fire in one of those moments when I’m not her dad but her daddy (and yes, there is a big difference), and knowing that she believes that to be true.
All in all, it was a great experience, and I’m already looking forward to next year.