Here’s a recipe that Courtney found and I improved. We use it all the time, and it’s super-easy to make and use. Before we begin, please note that this is one that I make on the fly without really measuring. I’ve guessed approximate measurements.
In a blender, mix the following ingredients:
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup olive oil depending on the size of your blender. We use a mini chopper blender for this and can get about 1 cup of olive oil.
- 1/4 cup Basil
- 1/4 cup Oregano or Italian Seasoning
- 1 tbsp of Garlic powder (I go heavy because I like it)
- 1 tbsp of Onion powder (again, I go heavy)
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup of Romano or Asiago cheese. The more cheese you add, the sharper the flavor. We like it extra sharp, so we add more than 1/2 cup of cheese.
Blend the living crud out of the whole mix until everything is finely blended. If it is too dry, add more olive oil.
It lasts for quite a while in the fridge, but you have to warm it up to make it pourable. We make about 2 cups at a time every three or four weeks.
Our favorite uses are as follows:
- Pasta–Make your pasta, add the pesto to taste, and toss.
- Bread dip–Nothing like warm bread dipped in the pesto.
- Marinade–Courtney has taken to baking chicken in the pesto. Wow.
And we wonder why we are having trouble losing weight…. 🙂