Katherine says some of the greatest things, and I’m realizing that I haven’t recorded a lot of them. Before I forget them, here we go:
- One of the cutest, and one of my favorite things, that she says is something she does each time I come home. She’ll often run up to me, wrap her arms around my legs, and say, “You came back! I knew you would!” I love it when she does that. It makes being a dad all that more important and all that more essential.
- She mimics a lot of the songs I sing. Some of my favorites that she mimics are the chorus line from Disco Inferno (she says, “Baby burn! Baby burn! Disco porno!”), the climax from Phantom of the Opera, Bleeding Love by Leona Lewis, and so on. Judging by the music she mimics, it is readily apparent that I was born about 20 years too late to catch my particular genres.
- Dave swear words. Let me make it absolutely clear that I don’t swear. I once tried, but I kept getting my “damns” and “hells” mixed up. Besides, I have yet to see any productive use come out of bad language. That being said, I have my own favorite personalized words that I use. Nothing will ever top the time that Katherine, whom I was teasing at the time, looked sternly at me and simple said, “Dude.” Or there is the time she called me a “Goober Beavis.” And the time she told me she was going to “bomb your house!” We’ll try to fix that last one before she starts school.
- Let us not forget the time that I was sitting on our bar stool in the kitchen and Katherine came up to me, looked at me, looked at the stool, and looked back at me. Then she said, like only a four-year-old can, “Daddy, you can’t sit on that chair. Your bum’s too big.” Thanks. Really.
- And then there was the time where she was wearing a dress with a fairly rough piece of fabric on the chest. That night, she asked if she could call Grandma, and when grandma picked up, Katherine proudly announced, “Grandma! My nipples hurt.”
- Or the time when Myron was crying because he was hungry, and Katherine said, “I’m sorry, Myron. I can’t feed you because I don’t have big boobs like mommy.”
- She once mentioned to both Courtney and I that Myron was “our child” meaning a product of the three of us as opposed to her brother.
- And of course, the made up words like Skinnies, the blocks in Mario Kart that smash your car flat.
Well, break is over, and that’s all I could think of off the top of my head. I’m realizing that I need to record some of these things to make sure that I remember them. Not all of them are the classic things that make your heart melt (like the time she crawled in my lap and said, “You’re my daddy.”), but they still make me smile.
I was noticing this morning that she’s getting big, and it won’t be long before my little girl ain’t so little anymore. 😦